Sunday, March 9, 2014

Twighlight LA 1992

Twilight is dedicated to the citizens of LA

Anne Deavere Smith the author/play writer of Twilight  interviewed over 200 people in research of civil disturbances in Los Angeles.  I would enjoy seeing one of her plays live that act out and portray on stage scripts based on her interview material.  April 29, 1992....This is an important day in Los Angeles history! The Watts riots is something I never even heard much about until recently and why?
Watts riots were one of the biggest riots ever recorded!!! & has Los Angeles changed?  Are we still facing racism and prejudice authority? 

 "How has the race canvas changed since the Watts riots?  Los Angeles shows us that the story of race in America is much larger and more complex than a story of black and white. There are new players in the race drama."(Smith, xxi). 

 This relates to everything we have been reading in class.  Tatum writes about the dominants and subordinates and how we portray each other and how subordinates need to be aware because its survival.  In the novel, White Like Me, we see Wise explain how he sees racism and he is a "dominant" figure.  Wise is the privileged one, but he can not sit back and watch this unjust world crumble!  In class, we watched videos about the McDonalds scandal, and Milgrams Experiment about being obedient to authority....is this what is happening?  Are people not applying their self?  Are people ignoring their own thoughts because they are scarred?  What is next???

Rodney Glen King (April 2, 1965 – June 17, 2012)
RK was an African-American construction worker and serial criminal who became nationally known after being beaten by Los Angeles police officers following a high-speed car chase on March 3, 1991. A local witness, George Holliday, videotaped this from his balcony.
The footage shows five officers surrounding King, several of them striking him repeatedly, while other officers stood by. Part of the footage was aired around the world which outrages the public and raised concern about police treatment of minorities.
Four officers were charged with assault with a deadly weapon and use of excessive force. Three were acquitted of all charges. The jury acquitted the fourth of assault with a deadly weapon, but failed to reach a verdict on the use of excessive force. The jury deadlocked at 8-4 in favor of acquittal.
The acquittals are generally considered to have triggered the1992 Watts Riots, in which 53 people were killed and over two thousand were injured, ending only when the military were called in. The case was then re-tried by a Federal grand jury. The trial ended on April 16, 1993, with two of the officers found guilty and subsequently imprisoned. The other two were acquitted.

http://youtu.be/SW1ZDIXiuS4

Does this still happen today?  How do we stand up to authority?  What do we do about it when it is out of our hands?  I knew nothing about Rodney King and I had to research him while beginning to read Twilight. 

"Yet more than twenty years later, living conditions for blacks and Latinos in Los Angeles have hardly improved, and Rodney King's beating was only the most visible example of years of police brutality toward people of color." -Introduction in Anna Deavere Smith Twighlight

4 comments:

  1. Vanessa, I like how you did research on Rodney kings and then draw in what you were trying to explain to us. This Is very good and you have helped me in my group assignment. thank you :) Those are some good questions to be asking. I too wonder if something like that were to happen, would I be trying to riot and cause destruction to demonstrate my anger or would I just sit back and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would ya do? Id definitely stand up for what is right. But what could I do everyday? That's my question. I know that everyday a racist act is happening or something unjust is going on..I have been so misinformed and I partly blame myself. Applying myself to research and read is important now a days because if I don't do it, what will my opinion and thoughts evolve to? Maybe Ill just listen to authority? I don't want that to be me. I want to keep my voice!

      Thanks Vicki
      xo

      Delete
  2. I would love to see her performances as well! The fact the subordinate people are always pushed to the side even in the theater. And it is sad to seethat even in professions such as theater, subordinate individuals are pushed to the side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subordinate culture is pushed to the side in everything it seems like....In theater, in movies, in magazines, in the news, in books....Wise, in White Like Me, probably turned heads because he was a dominant figure standing up for the disadvantages that subordinates have to go through. When we all come together that would be the day....wouldn't it?
      But people don't apply themselves enough & I hope we start a change because who will? What is it going to take for people to see what has been going on now for yearrrrrssss?
      Thanks for the reply post to my blog Karina...

      Ness

      Delete