Sunday, January 26, 2014

1st Thoughts: Connect


Mary Pipher in Writing to Change the World, is inspiring in ways I have never thought I could be inspired. Writing is a way to share,vent, to reach out, to relax, and connect with one’s soul or with other people. I have realized I am the kind of person who needs to vent, and make connections. I have realized situations in relationships, such as, when an issue occurs, that I want to fix the problem instantly; not all people are receptive. Some need time to themselves, or do not feel a need to talk out differences. In dealing with problems on my own, writing releases tension. Mary Pipher writes: “Discouragement can stop us from doing our work, as can humility. Many writers silence themselves by thinking” (Pipher 28). Relative, I usually do not make effort to write because I feel I have nothing to discuss, and what I do may not be relevant. Mary Pipher would reference interesting work and promote readers to self-educate by reading.  Anne Frank was Piphers first hero.  “Consider the work of the Persian king Cyrus the Great who formulated the first declaration of human rights, or the work of Plato, Theresa of Avila, or Harriet Beecher Stowe, who wrote Uncle Tom’s Cabin” (Pipher, 9). Pipher passed on writings to readers to reflect on and build our own opinion; I literally want to and will read everything she referenced. “Stories are the most basic tools for connecting us to one another” (Piper, 11). Stories are passed on for reasons, and everyone's voice is unique.  I admit I like to hear other stories because I hate feeling alone. I hope on my blog, I can connect with my class-mates, and write for positive change. Thank you.


8 comments:

  1. Wow! I made a connection, many times I feel like my opinion isn't good enough.And that the rest of our class will stay quite or ignore me.
    I too believe that reading gives us insight to the lives of those outside the USA. Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli literally made me cry my heart out. I couldn't believe that the books showed the possible destinies of children during WWII. Books are a beautiful thing, people in general should sit and read a book once a month to get educated.
    -Emily R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, share an example from _Milkweed_ so that those who have not read it have an understanding of its content. Some may ignore what you say, but others will listen. Even if you appear to be a mad person screaming in the wilderness, continue to have your voice heard. Someone will listen--perhaps many more will listen. Someone is listening--perhaps many more are listening. Once they have the courage to add to your opinion, you will hear from them. You may be surprised to discover who is listening.

      Delete
    2. Look at you adding to my list of book to read. I will definitely have to look into it. Maybe after this semester and after all the books for class are read I could check it out lol I really like Prof. Duran's reply to what you said about how you feel like no one in class listens to you. We would be surprised who is actually listening! Everyone has a voice and we should be able to have the courage to say what is on our mind! I would rather be the person mad, screaming in the wilderness, why wouldn't you? lol :))

      Delete
  2. Wanting to fix problems right away is a personality trait of myself as well. It is sometimes hard to find restraint when dealing with a person who needs lots of time and space before they can address it. I also connected to silencing myself out of action. I will tell myself that my ideas aren't good enough, or worry that people will not understand me. It is hard to silence the critic within us, yet we must if we want to produce the work we are meant to in our lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent point, Haley. Sometimes we need to be silent in order to truly listen. Have we understood? That is a challenge for many. Sometimes we need to allow others to make their way, to discover for themselves the path that leads to their healing. We can listen and we can offer suggestions, but we must allow them to find their way at their own pace.

      Delete
    2. Hi Haley! Sorry for such late reply! Yes!! I am glad someone connected to what I said about wanting to fix the problem right away...I was actually really scarred to post that thought because I thought no one would relate. I am glad I made a connection with you and had the courage to share about it! Come to find out everyone is a little shy; we have to overcome it in order for people to listen and connect with our writing!

      Delete
  3. Like you Vanessa, I, too, want to read the many writers referenced by Pipher in her work. Their words are inspiring and motivating and uplifting. They reach out from the beyond into the present and future so that we take on the moral assignment of working toward a better tomorrow for all humanity. I cannot say that enough: for all humanity, not a select few who feel entitled. How can they? The world belongs to all of us, including other living organisms. They, too, have the right to enjoy the air, water, and earth. The necessary elements for our survival. We need to find ways of not depleting these resources by taking into the equation all who inhabit the planet. What can we do to help toward saving the earth and humanity for future generations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think we can do little things. I like going to the beach and picking up trash with a group of people. Doing acts like this may spread ideas to others. The people that see us picking up trash may help or may remember to not liter. We can spread word on social networks that our water is at a shortage to be cautious on how long you shower or how much water is running when doing dishes. We can read and pass on the book or article about the environment to a friend, and maybe they will pass it on to a another friend and so on. Make conversations with people on the bus or at the grocery store. Connect. & Pass it on!

      Delete