Sunday, January 26, 2014

I AM


I am from love, chaos, beautiful and ugly..
I am from Lisa, Alfredo, and Brandon
I am from a split family, but together family
I am from a childhood full of laughter, tantrums, groundings, and conversations
From cereal and cartoons in the morning; hot pockets and homework afterschool
I am from pre-teen confessions and teenage depression
I am from seeing drugs, sex, partying, peer pressure, anxiety
I am from the long distant phone conversations with my papa 
& from soccer games with my dad on Saturdays
I am from arguments with my mom, but falling asleep on her lap while she plays with my hair
I am from Catholic/Private schools since the age of 7 and
From inspiring teachers and mentors, but also unfair ones
I am from falling in and out of love and from learning experiences
I am from running, sweating, and breathing
I am from darkness with mistakes, tears, and from rays of light with my faith and dreams
I am from a planet where the stars and moon are silent but give peace, and beauty
A generation too fast pace to see things or notice
I am from every little piece of my own memories
I am from daily connections with peers
& I am the reflection I see in the mirror
I am from what my soul inspires me to be, and from what I choose to explore
I hope I stay free and not hold back any part of me

Inspired by Know Thyself/Mary Pipher
-Ness

4 comments:

  1. The poem you wrote in inspired by the Pipher reading was beautiful, and so well written. The piece was so nice to read and I could really tell how connected you were through this post. I thought this was an interesting and different approach at writing about yourself. I really felt that a lot of the points in it are relatable and I could personally connect to a few. This is a good example of the type of writing Pipher would talk about In her book writing to change the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristine. Thank you, I really appreciate you enjoying my poem. Have you tried writing a poem like this? It is really fun. I just free wrote and kept writing without thinking. At the end, I just corrected a few things and I had a poem :)

      Delete
  2. I really do agree with you, I feel that writing does relax me and keeps me concentrated in what i do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. What do you write about ? I write about the most randomness things. I try to write as soon as I wake up in the morning for 5 minutes. Also, when I go to bed.

      Delete